Friday 28 December 2012

Candied Sweet Potatoes



Here is a slightly unusual dessert for those of us not from the US of A. Candied sweet potatoes, also known as candied yams or candied sweets. This is a dish which represents traditional American cooking, and it often part of thanksgiving traditions.

It may seem an odd concept, but using sweet potato as a dessert is common in many countries. When I had Cambodian food month, we had a sweet potato and sago dessert which was delicious. These candied sweet potatoes are simple to prepare, make for a very affordable dessert and will surely be novel and surprising to any guests you serve them up to.

Ingredients
4 medium sweet potatoes (or 3 large)
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 tbsp margarine
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 pinch ground cloves
1 pinch salt
1/4 cup water
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp orange zest

To Make
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
2. Peel and slice the sweet potatoes, and arrange in a baking dish.
3. Combine all remaining ingredients in a small saucepan and place over a medium heat and heat through.
4. Pour over the sweet potatoes and cover the baking dish with foil and bake for 40 minutes, taking it out and stirring occasionally.
5. Remove the foil and lower the oven heat to about 160. Bake an additional 20 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes are tender.
6. Transfer the sweet potatoes to a serving bowl and spoon the syrupy sauce over them. Serve hot.

Serves 4-6.





4 comments:

  1. I love sweet potato and so long as no-one is trying to tell me to serve this with my main course I am all over it! I helped my daughters make a 12 course Korean feast not so long ago when I was staying with them and we made some amazing sago sweet potato desserts so I am going to give this one a go...but to this Aussie it is dessert...not something to go with a main meal! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In America it is a dessert too, I wouldn't fancy serving this with my savoury food - a tad too sweet! I hope it turns out well for you, let me know! :)

      Delete
  2. Actually, I find it strange that you've seen this as a dessert. I'm American (Central New York) and we eat this with our main dish at holidays such as Thanksgiving! Sometimes with candied carrots..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mariah, perhaps I was misinformed! Maybe I should have served this with my mains instead of desserts. I think it could go either way really.

      Delete