Friday 16 November 2012

Almond & Goji Berry Chocolate Snaps


Sometimes the simplest sweet treats are really the best - not to mention being a lot less effort! I guarantee that if you spend ten minutes whipping these divine chocolate snaps up for guest they will be praising your ingenuity and calling for more.



This recipe post is for the eat the alphabet challenge, which I almost didn't end up entering, but got in a little late with these in the end. The theme letters are U, V and W. Quite a challenge. I decided to discount any ingredients which had "wild" or "white", because it felt a bit like cheating, but after discounting that the pickings were slim. My first thought was watermelon (coming into season), watercress and water chestnuts. All great options, but then I had an inspired thought.

Ever eaten Goji Berries? They're an ingredient we use in Chinese Herbal Medicine often (isn't it great when medicine tastes so delicious?). Well, their Chinese name is Gou Qi Zi, but their English name is Wolfberry - which starts with a W!

A quick note before we get to the nitty gritty of this recipe: I used a rather obscure ingredient in mine - pickled plum flavoured salt which a friend of mine brought back from Japan. I don't expect many other people have this ingredient lying around in their pantry, so I've written this recipe using coarse regular salt.



Ingredients
100g 70% cocoa dark chocolate
2 tbsp coarsely chopped almonds
2 tbsp wolfberries (goji berries)
Coarse salt flakes

To Make
1. Melt the chocolate in a double boiler (I just use a metallic bowl with it's bottom resting in some boiling water) until no lumps remain. 
2. Lay out a sheet of greaseproof paper over a tray or plate.
3. Divide the melted chocolate into 8 rounds on the baking paper and sprinkle the tops with almonds and goji berries (press them down gently to make sure they stick in the chocolate). Then sprinkle a pinch of salt over the top and place the plate in the fridge.
4. Leave in the fridge until the chocolate has completely hardened again, at least 20 minutes.
5. Serve. Too easy!

Makes 8 (serves 4).




2 comments:

  1. I bought some Goji berries recently to mix with my muesli as I'd heard they were good for you. I'm a chocolate lover so wouldn't be able to stop at one of these they look so good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would make such a delicious and elegant Christmas gift wrapped up in a nice bag with some ribbon!

    ReplyDelete