Saturday 3 November 2012

Simple Side Mushrooms


I'm very much a 'cook-it-all-together' kind of cook. I favour one pot meals like soups, stir fried, curries, pastas, lasagne and casseroles. I think that this is probably common for people who don't cook meat, though, as side veggies tend to be more an accompaniment to meat than anything else. What do you think? How often do you cook separate side veggies?

The other day I bought a gorgeous looking packet of oyster mushrooms without any real idea of what I was going to do with them. They sat in my fridge for a few days while I thought about what I should do with them until one evening I looked in the fridge and thought "I have to cook these tonight otherwise they're going to go off". The only problem was I couldn't really incorporate them into what I had already decided to cook. So my only option was to cook them up separately and have them on the side! I was glad that I did, because I discovered this simple and delicious way of cooking mushrooms.

Apart from the taste, the other benefit of this side dish is that it's very healthy - it's cooked without any butter or oil. I made this with oyster mushrooms, which were divine. You could, however, make this with any kind of mushrooms that you have. 

Ingredients
150g mushrooms, washed and trimmed
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
1 tsp soy sauce
Cracked pepper to taste (you don't need salt because you've added soy sauce)
2-3 tbsp chopped fresh parsley

To Make
1. Slice the mushrooms and place in a bowl.
2. In a small bowl or jar combine the lemon juice, mustard, soy sauce and pepper. Mix/shake well.
3. Pour the dressing over the mushrooms and stir through.
4. Place a small frypan or saucepan over a medium heat and add the mushrooms and all the liquid.
5. Cook over a medium heat for about 5 minutes, or until the mushrooms are tender. Once cooked, remove from the heat and place back in the bowl. Allow to rest a minute or two while you chop up your fresh parsley.
6. Stir the parsley through and serve. 

Makes side veggies for 2. 



2 comments:

  1. Hi Keely, this is a great simple side dish, the flavours together sound really good. Great meeting you on the weekend. I'm still playing catch up so will email those slides to you soon. Catherine :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those mushrooms do look perfectly cooked. I'm liking the new background of your blog, too:)

    ReplyDelete