Saturday 26 October 2013

Chilli Grapefruit & Orange Salad


I'm growing to love fresh juicy and tangy citrus in savoury salads! It's not something I've ever done much of before, but one of the wonderful things about exploring foods from all over the world is that I'm discovering and trying new things constantly. Last month I made a sensational Orange & Olive Salad with Cumin for Egyptian food month. I fell so much in love with that salad that I jumped at the chance to make another citrus filled salad this month for Nepal. It was delicious - and a perfect fresh accompaniment to all the spicy dishes and curries from this month.

Chilli Grapefruit & Orange Salad

Ingredients
2 ruby grapefruits
3 oranges
1 red chilli, finely chopped
1 tbsp fresh chopped coriander
1 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp turmeric
1/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp fenugreek seeds
1/2 cup plain [vegan] yoghourt

To Make
1. Peel the grapefruits and oranges and slice into segments. Reserve in a small bowl any juice that comes out onto your chopping board as you slice them.
2. Combine the grapefruit, orange, chilli and coriander in a bowl and toss to combine. Mix the sugar, turmeric and salt with the reserved citrus juices together in the bowl and add to the salad.
3. Heat the oil in a pan and toast the fenugreek seeds until just browned. Add to the salad and toss well.
4. Serve with a dollop of yoghourt and fresh coriander to garnish.

Serves 4.


This month I'm featuring lots of recipes from Nepal!
Check out my other Nepali/Nepalese recipe posts:

No comments:

Post a Comment