There is something very luxurious about coulis, probably all the fresh berries. The other day I noticed that fresh blackberries were coming out in my local supermarket and thought to myself that I had to make some things with them while I could! The special touch to this coulis is the addition of parfait armour, a very fragrant violet liqueur which adds a fantastic aroma to the coulis. You could substitute any berry-based liqueur or just use a tsp of vanilla extract instead.
This is an all purpose recipe, you use it however you like - I've got it above drizzled over freshly sliced mangoes. You could also use it to drizzle over any fruit, ice cream, cake or pudding that you like, or even just to decorate your dessert plates.
1 cup blackberries
1/2 cup castor sugar
1 tsp parfait amour
1. Put the blackberries in a small saucepan along with 1/2 cup water and the sugar.
2. Bring to the boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer.
3. Simmer for about 10 minutes, or until the blackberries have softened and cooked though.
4. Remove from the heat and allow to cool for about 20 minutes.
5. Add the parfait amour and then process in a blender/food processor or with a stick mixer.
6. Allow to cool completely and drizzle over whatever you like.
Probably makes about enough to drizzle over 2 desserts of your choice.