Wednesday 13 February 2013

Home Made Salsa Lizano (Costa Rican Brown Sauce)


Salsa Lizano is ubiquitous in Costa Rica. It's used in cooking and poured liberally over food as a condiment. So, what is it? It's a brown sauce made from vegetables and spices. It's also not very readily available in Australia. I could have ordered it online from America and paid an absolute packet for a jar of sauce.... but I've always preferred making things from scratch anyway.

A quick google on the internet revealed several forums in which people were asking how to make Salsa Lizano at home only to be told by various people that you simply can't make it at home. Well that sounded like a challenge to me so goshdarnit I set to it! Having never tasted the real stuff I guess I'm at a disadvantage for recreating it. But I used the ingredients of the sauce from wikipedia as a starting point and went from there. The sauce I made was delicious and it's great to use in cooking for instant 'WOW' flavour. I couldn't tell you if it tastes like the real thing though - somebody else will have to make it and tell me!



Ingredients
1/2 onion, chopped
1 small carrot, chopped
1 cup chopped cauliflower
1 tsp powdered vegetable stock
1/2 green chilli
2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp blackstrap molasses
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp white wine vinegar
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp celery seeds
1/2 tsp mustard powder
1/2 tsp tumeric

To Make
1. Place the chopped onion, carrot and cauliflower in a saucepan and cover with boiling water. Bring to the boil and then simmer until the vegetables are cooked through and tender. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup of the water.
2. Stir the vegetable stock powder through the 1/4 cup hot water that you reserved.
3. Place the cooked vegetables in a food processor or blender. Add the vegetable stock and all the other ingredients (note: if you don't want it hot you can remove some or all of the seeds/placenta of the chilli before adding it).
4. Purée until it forms a smooth sauce and then transfer into a bottle or a jar until needed. Store in the refrigerator.

Makes 1 medium sized bottle. Use in cooking or pour over just about anything for added 'pow' flavour.


18 comments:

  1. hahaha send this bottle over here to CR, I'll let you know if it's the same :P Ok, I'll make it sometime this year (if anyone allows me, since we have the sauce here at home all the time) and I'll let you know if it tastes similarly. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Catalina.... or anyone else have a review of this recipe? Be great if someone who uses Salsa Lizano often give us some feedback :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. CHALLENGE ACCEPTED! My boyfriend and I just got back from Costa Rica and I absolutely fell in LOVE with Salsa Lizano while we were there. I dumped it on everything - even scrambled eggs! I brought a bottle home with me so I can actually compare it to this homemade version as soon as I get a chance to make it. I'll let you know how it goes! Pura Vida!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So I tried this recipe. The flavour profile is very good, and similar to that of authentic Salsa Lizano, but it's much sweeter and milder than the commercial stuff, which has a tangy, almost smoky punch of flavour that really makes a little bit go a long way. Doing a side-by-side taste test, the flavours that stood out to me as most differentiating were mustard and black pepper. Black pepper may be just what your missing in this recipe (and lots of it!) and maybe try adding a bit more mustard, salt and vinegar as well. I will keep experimenting in my own kitchen and keep you posted regarding any successes. Thanks for this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'm so glad to get the opinion of someone who has actually tasted the stuff. Next time I make it I'll add a lot of black pepper and more mustard. Thanks for being the guinea pig with this one :)

      Delete
  5. i would try it...and i ll let you know!!! if it tastes similar..i will love you forever!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sauce is so yummy. you wouldn't think it had all those vegetables in in it. I've canned a couple of bottles for future use.

    Other than "Gallo Pinto" and using it as a side, what other recipes can I use with it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently Costa Ricans put it on just about everything :)

      Delete
    2. You can marinate meat, particularly pork loin, chicken, roast or bbq, eat with tortillas :). I use to season tomato sauce, chilli con carne, lentils, soups

      Delete
  7. Great to see a recipe! Love Salsa Lizano! Wish you could get it in NZ!!! Good to hear how it compares closetgormet

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just made it.Kind of similar but not very close... Every body can buy salsa lizano online. Just google it, they have a website and they ship everywhere. I will be practicing different recipe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually had to add Worcestershire sauce, to get it closer taste and no cauliflower(make a weird texture)

      Delete
  9. Thanks for such great recipes! About how long do you thick this homemade salsa will keep in the fridge?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah, it has no preservatives added, so wouldn't last more than 5 days or so in the fridge. If you wanted to have it on hand, you could always freeze it in portions and use as you need it :)

      Delete
  10. Hello, I am a Costa Rican, living in the UK, recently I nearly ran out of Lizano, and needed it urgently to make tamales (traditional festive meal). Ticos (that's Costa Ricans for you) NEVER think about how to make home made sauce, as it readily available everywhere, literally. Two days ago I set out to find a recipe online, I tried this one, I did a blind taste and, although I spotted which one was the branded product, this home made version comes very close to the real thing .

    Thank you Keely, you made my Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is the best sauce ive ever had on eggs,mexican,meat!!!!Ive been to Costa Rica twice now and try and smuggle as much Lizano home as i can,but alas it does run out...agggghhhh
    Thanks for trying to make it,id love it if someone does perfect the reciepe or a distributor like Fireworks Foods starts bringing it in...
    thanks again Keely
    Kane;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is the best sauce ive ever had on eggs,mexican,meat!!!!Ive been to Costa Rica twice now and try and smuggle as much Lizano home as i can,but alas it does run out...agggghhhh
    Thanks for trying to make it,id love it if someone does perfect the reciepe or a distributor like Fireworks Foods starts bringing it in...
    thanks again Keely
    Kane;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. The recipe wasn't quite right... I was dipping my finger in the actual sauce and comparing... I think the solution is tamarind! I added 3Tbsp of tamarind paste 1 T of lemon juice... maybe I'll try less sugar next time too.

    ReplyDelete