Monday 24 June 2013

Home Made Vegan Sour Cream


Hello all! After a long period of silence I'm finally back. You may have noticed that June has been a bit of a quiet month on Gormandize. I've been totally overwhelmed by business this month so sadly blogging has fallen along the wayside lately. I've recently gotten a second job which is fantastic for my bank balance but no so much for my time. Secondly I've spent every spare moment I've had this month organising our big trip abroad. We are leaving next Monday!! It's very exciting but it's a big trip, and since we're travelling in peak tourist season (European summer) we've been advised to book pretty much everything in advance!

What a mammoth task it has been - this month I have booked accommodation in 17 different places (shopping around in each place for the cheapest good accommodation to save money!), 2 internal flights, 2 car hires in different countries, 6 ferry tickets and 2 train tickets. Also travel insurance, International divers license and a couple of other necessaries. It's been totally exhausting and it feels like it has consumed my whole life. But now finally it is all in order and this time next week we will be on a plane heading off on a 6 week trip! It is so exciting. So - want to know where we are going? Scandinavia!! Here is a map of our complete trip plan:



Looks great doesn't it? I'll do my best to keep posting updates as I go (if I get much time or internet access). I'm also going to schedule some posts so there won't be complete silence on the blog while I'm gone. I've got lots of delicious recipes to share via scheduling and also some absolutely lovely blogging friends who have offered to contribute guest posts which I know you're going to love!

But, what about my featured country for June? Well, I have actually cooked a lot of dishes that I had planned to share with you in June. But as it's almost over, I don't think I'll be able to get through them all before the end of the month - so I'm making my next featured country for June and July. What country is it? POLAND! Oh, yes - very excited about this one because Polish food is one of my absolute favourite cuisines. So I hope you'll enjoy my spread of Polish dishes over June and July!


This first recipe isn't a Polish recipe as such, but it's such a vital ingredient in Polish cooking that it is really where I have to start! It's my home made vegan sour cream. You'll be needing quite a bit of this for my Polish recipes - so I made a double batch and I used it all up.

Vegan Sour Cream

Ingredients
350g silken tofu, drained
2 tbsp canola oil
2 tsp white wine vinegar
4 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp castor sugar
1 tsp salt

To Make
1. Combine all ingredients in a food process. Process until completely smooth.
2. Transfer to a bowl or jar and place in the fridge for at least an hour before using. Should be nice and thick and scoopable.

Use in place of dairy sour cream in any recipe that calls for it!

Makes about 1 cup sour cream.



5 comments:

  1. I hope your holiday - that does look like it will be fantastic - is absolutely enjoyable & generally awesome! The sour cream looks perfectly thick & smooth - I'm immediately thinking nachos. Please, please, please keep up a travel journal so we can know exactly how great your holiday is & all the great food you eat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fish! I'm hoping I can get some time an internet while I'm away to post some pics and updates. If not you can be sure I'll put up some posts about with when I get back.

      Delete
  2. Your trip sounds totally awesome Keely. Hope you have the best time ever, will be watching out for updates. The sour cream looks great, one of my favourite things to eat..I'm thinking on top of a hot potato. Enjoy your trip & safe, safe travels. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Catherine! I'm very excited, I love travel. X

      Delete
  3. Can I replace the canola oil with other vegetable oil? Thanks

    ReplyDelete