Monday 7 May 2012

Cherry and Almond Bircher Muesli


I'm doing my best these days to eat breakfast. One thing that has helped me hugely has been making a meal plan so that I know exactly what I'm going to have for breakfast the next day. Most of the time I skip breakfast because I wake up in the morning and this is my thought process: 

"I should eat breakfast. I'll have some breakfast."

"What should I eat? Do I have anything in the house that I can eat?"

"I could make pancakes. No, couldn't be bothered, don't want to clean up the mess."

"Ok. I'll just have something quick. Toast or cereal."

"Yeah, maybe not because I don't actually like toast or cereal much. Also, there's no bread."

"Oh look, it's 11:30 and I still haven't eaten anything. Oh, well.... I might as well just have an early lunch instead."

I don't know if anybody else does that but I do it almost every morning. The only way I can get around it is if I already know exactly what I'm going to eat for breakfast and if possible I've made it the night before. That is why bircher muesli is the new breakfast appearing weekly on my meal plan. The best thing about it is that I spend 5 minutes on it the night before and 5 minutes more in the morning and then it's done. It's also incredibly versatile and I can use any fruits and nuts and seeds that I have. In short: love it.

What is your favourite thing to put in your bircher muesli?



Ingredients
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
1 tbsp pepitas 
1 tbsp sunflower seeds
2 tsp ground flaxseeds (linseeds)
1/2 cup whole almonds
1 cup apple juice
1 apple (I used a sweet and crunchy royal gala)
Morello cherries (or other sour cherries)

To Make:
1. Mix the oats, flaxseeds, almonds, pepitas and sunflower seeds in a small bowl. Mix the apple juice in and leave to soak in the fridge overnight (or minimum 1 hour).
2. The next morning, peel and coarsely grate the apple. Stir through the soaked oats. 
3. Serve with morello cherries.

Serves 2.


On another note - I've been nominated for the Best Australian Blogs 2012 People's Choice Award - you can vote for me by hitting up this link: 
http://www.sydneywriterscentre.com.au/bloggingcomp/peopleschoice.html

No comments:

Post a Comment