Monday 22 June 2020

Quick Pickled Bok Choy


Our weekly veggie boxes lately have been coming with a LOT of bok choy and I was at a bit of a loss when trying to figure out how to use it all. I'm not that much into bok choy, but had this thought one day that I could pickle it. I figured somebody must have done it before because everything is on the internet right? But when I did a quick search, apparently not. So I made up a quick pickle and gave it a go. It turned out so good that I pickle the bok choy straight from the veggie box every week. I can't tell you how long they'll last you in the fridge or cupboard, though. They don't last long in my house because my kids eat them straight out of the jar.

It's a very straightforward pickle. I used a warm pickle instead of hot because I didn't want the bok choy to get too "cooked", so it would retain it's nice crunch. Add any flavours you like - chilli, ginger, garlic, lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves. Our favourite variety is the ginger ones.

I use these pickles inside rice paper rolls, with Asian salads or noodle dishes. They add a lovely fresh crunch to a sweet/sticky tofu dish.

Now I just need to figure out what to do with all the leaves? I add them into other dishes in small amounts but can't seem to use them up in the quantity that I have them! Suggestions welcome :)



Ingredients:
2-3 bok choy, stems only
1 cup, boiling hot water
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar (you could also use white wine vinegar or rice vingear)
2 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt


Additional flavours (optional): chilli, garlic, ginger, lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves. 

To Make:
1. Wash bok choy stems and cut into sticks. Put into a clean jar (pack them in tight because they shrink as they pickle).
2. Combine the boiling water with the sugar until dissolved and then add the apple cider vinegar and salt. 
3. Pour into the jar over the bok choy. If the quantity isn't quite enough you can top up with a little more vinegar and water to fill up the jar.
4. Put the lid on and store in the fridge overnight.

Makes approximately 1 x 500ml jar. 



11 comments:

  1. I pickle the leaves, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this, I will try it! You could also Toss with a little sesame oil, vinegar, and scallions for a quick Asian-inspired salad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, I’ll try this! I’m going to put my greens in soup (could be most soups, but I’m making minestrone). You could also Toss with a little sesame oil, vinegar, and scallions for a quick Asian-inspired salad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Use the leaves in a quiche

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, thanks for the recipe. I too had difficulty in finding a recipe for my excess bok choy. I bottled half a dozen jars today, do we'll see how it goes. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are totally killer

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know this post is old but you could make kraut out of the leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the inspiration. Extra thanks for suggesting a warm, rather than hot pickle. Instead of the long sticks, I did a dice, with a moderate amount of leaves. There's the suggestion for the leaves you asked for. :) A scoop on asian dishes is great. But, it even works well on sandwiches.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Creamy bok Chou leaves like spinach

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just made a batch with the excess from my garden!! Excited to try them

    ReplyDelete