Thursday 24 July 2014

South African Tomato Chutney


Making up sauces, pickles and chutneys is one of my favourite things to do when I'm exploring the cuisines of other countries. They're so satisfying and you end up with a nice big jar in the fridge to put on whatever you like. This South African  Tomato Chutney isn't my recipe, it comes out of my favourite cooking magazine, SBS Feast which did a lovely feature on South African Cuisine in it's January 2012 issue, which is still sitting around on my shelf. It was nice to get it out and thumb through it again looking for inspiration for my featured country this month.

It's more of a tomato sauce than a chutney really, beautifully simple and packed with flavour. It's very versatile, we spooned it all over our South Africa dishes and then used up the leftovers dolloped on salads and vegetarian sausages (it was GREAT with the sausages!).

South African Tomato Chutney
Adapted from Feast Magazine, January 2012

Ingredients
1/4 cup olive oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
4 garlic cloves, crushed
4-5 medium tomatoes, finely chopped
1 1/2 tbsp. tomato paste
1 tsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/3 cup (loosed packed) chopped fresh coriander

1. Heat oil in a pan and add the onions and garlic. Cook for 2 minutes, or until softened, and then add the tomatoes and cook for a further 2-3 minutes.
2. Add the tomato paste, sugar and salt and simmer for 5 minutes. Once sauce has thickened, stir in the coriander and remove from the heat. Eat straight away dolloped on anything or put it in a jar and keep in the fridge for up to 5 days.

Makes 1 large jar.


This month I'm featuring recipes from South Africa.
Check out my other South African recipe posts:

4 comments:

  1. Just started following this awesome blog and can't wait to see what you come up with next. Cheers for being one of the most interesting vegan food blogs on the Internet :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Serendipity, your comments made my day. Hope you have fun trying out some of my recipes and please let me know how they turn out! :)

      Delete
  2. Hey Keely. Amazing blog you have posted. I can’t wait to eat this recipe. Firstly, I will make it today at night after that I will eat it with my family. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Keely! You know that, making up sauce, pickles and chutney is one of my favorite recipe. I always make it in my free time. Thanks for sharing great recipe blog.

    ReplyDelete