Monday 8 April 2024

Papaya, Kale & Lentil Sprout Salad with Pecans

 


I've been working on increasing my legume intake and enjoying adding sprouted legumes into my diet more often (to get my daily legumes in without feeling like I'm only ever eating mushy cooked beans). I was buying them by the packet until I remembered how cheap and easy it is to sprout your own 🤦🏻‍♀️ So, I made these beautiful lentil sprouts and I'll share my method with you after the recipe. If you'd rather not bother making your own sprouts just use any store bought sprouted legumes in this salad, such as mung bean sprouts. 


I just made this salad for my own lunch, so the quantities here suit one person for a full (light) meal or two as a side salad. Increase the quantities as needed, and all the amounts of ingredients are flexible, it's a salad so add more or less of what you like. 


Papaya, Kale & Lentil Sprout Salad with Pecans

Ingredients

1 cup finely chopped curly kale

Juice of 1/2 small lemon

1 TSP sesame oil

A grind of salt

A splash of tamari, to taste

1/2 cup finely shredded purple cabbage

1/2 lentil sprouts 

1 cup diced ripe papaya

1/4 cup pecans, toasted and roughly chopped

To Make:

1. Add the finely chopped kale to a bowl with the lemon juice, sesame oil and salt. Massage with your fingers for a few minutes to soften the kale and get the flavours into it. Set aside while you prep your other ingredients. 

2. Add all the remaining ingredients and toss to combine. Ajust seasonings to taste. 

Optional extras: any fresh herbs you love such as coriander, parsley or mint. 


How I sprout lentils: 

Rinse some lentils (I've used blue French lentils for this dish, any whole lentils will work) and soak in water overnight. The next day strain the lentils in a sieve and rinse well. Leave in the sieve propped on a bowl (or I often leave them on my draining track) so that any excess water can drip out and there is airflow at the bottom of the sieve. I cover with a cheesecloth and leave them for 3-4 days, rinsing then over day and tossing them around to make sure they're never too wet. One the little sprouts emerge and are a good size, they're ready to eat. I find they try to grow through the mesh of the strainer! 


Definitely ready to eat! 😂

No comments:

Post a Comment