Deep fried desserts are not something that we should all have every day, but you just can't deny that they are incredibly delicious and sometimes you just have to sit back and enjoy life right? I think so anyway! You can kid yourself that since they're fruit-filled they're healthy, but the truth is all you need to know is that it's not nearly as bad for you as this. But don't worry about any of the stuff that I've just written - just make these for dessert tonight. They're easy, quick and will blow you and your guests away. That's all you need to know!
1 banana, peeled and chopped into 12 disks
6 spring roll wrappers, thawed if frozen
Vegetable oil, for deep frying (you'll need heaps to deep fry, but don't worry you can just pour it back in the bottle after it's cooled down and use it again for other cooking)
Icing sugar, for dusting
That's it! Too easy!
Here are some variations that I've tried which are also amazing:
1) Add a small chunk of dark chocolate with the piece of banana
2) Add a slice of cream cheese with the piece of banana (it goes all melty and yummy)
1. Cut each spring roll wrapper in half.
2. Brush the piece of wrapper with water to soften it. Place a piece of banana at one end and roll it up just like you were rolling a spring roll - don't worry about making it too neat.
3. Continue with all the rest of the banana pieces and wrappers.
4. Heat a lot of oil in a wok, pan or, if you're an American, the deep fryer you have on your counter (jokes - I love Americans!)
5. Take a small square of the wrappers or a cube of bread to test if the oil is hot enough - if the oil fizzles around it and it crisps up quickly then the oil is hot enough.
6. Deep fry the wrapped bananas in the hot oil for about 4-5 minutes or until they're browned slightly. Remove and drain on paper towel.
7. Roll them in the icing sugar and eat them immediately while they're nice and hot!
Makes 12 (serves about 2 people).
This month I'm featuring lots of amazing recipes from Cambodia!
Check out my other Cambodian recipe posts: