Thursday 14 February 2013

Chickpea, Apple and Cashew Salad with Tahini Dressing


My mum calls me the Salad Queen because I almost never make the same salad twice. I just love making salads - they are so easy and so versatile. A lot of people think that salad is boring which baffles me - maybe they just put lettuce, tomato and cucumber in their salads and then add some store bought sugary dressing? If that is how you view salads then I challenge you to try some of my salads.

There are so many different vegetables and fruits, beans and pulses, nuts and seeds and different dressings to use in salads! This hearty salad is perfect for people who think that salads aren't filling enough to be your whole meal. It's also deceptively healthy - the rich creamy dressing is made with tahini which already has a certain oil content so that means you don't need to add any oil to the dressing - winner! 

Ingredients
1 small or medium sized beetroot
Lettuce (as much as you want for 2 people)
2 tomatoes, chopped
2 tbsp pepitas
1 x 400ml tin of chickpeas OR 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas (soak for 24 hours, then boil for 30 minutes)
1 medium apple (see note)
1 cup unsalted cashews

Dressing
2 tbsp unhulled tahini
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 small glove garlic, crushed

Note: The variety of apple you choose will alter the flavour profile of the dish. I chose a sweet apple (like gala or pink lady) to add some crunchy sweetness to the salad. If you use a granny smith you'll have a more sour taste to the salad. Try both and see which one you prefer? :)

To Make:
1. Peel and dice the beetroot. Place in a saucepan and cover with water. Boil until tender (about 15-20 minutes - depending on how big you cut the pieces). Drain and rinse with cold water. Set aside.
2. Spread lettuce between two bowls. Chop tomatoes and layer on top of the lettuce. Then top with the cooled beetroot.
3. Lightly toast the pepitas by dry frying in a pan for about 60 seconds, tossing them regularly until they're browned and starting to pop. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
4. To make the dressing mix together all the ingredients and stir vigorously until smooth and combined.
5. In a bowl toss the cooked chickpeas, diced apple, cashews and pepitas with the dressing to coat. Distribute amongst the bowls and enjoy!

Serves 2


8 comments:

  1. Yum! I've been looking for a filling salad to try with English ingredients and the trillions of pulses I have. The apple varieties over here are pretty impressive :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. As soon as you add chickpeas and tahini to a salad it equals instant awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This salad looks really tasty. As its summer here in Australia I might have to make this ASAP :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love making all kinds of 'thrown together' salads as well. Easiest way to get rid of a bunch of veggies in the fridge! This looks super yummy and crunchy :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. So good! I made this salad for picky non-vegetarian teenagers, and they loved it! One boy told me it wasn't a salad, "Because this is good, and I hate salad. It doesnt even look like a salad. I'd even eat more if I could have seconds. " He got his second helping, and I told him he could call it whatever he wanted. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anonymous - this comment made my day!

      Delete
  6. Yummy. Thanks for sharing this wonderful post :)

    ReplyDelete