Thursday 28 March 2013

Sweet Potato in Creamy Coconut Sauce


We're almost at the end of March already, where does the time go? This year will be over before I know it. But, nearing the end of March means nearing the end of Samoan food month, so I'm on a push to get all my recipes up by the end of the month!

As I have warned you in previous posts, Samoa month is all about the coconut! This recipe is not exception. Like some of the other ones I've posted, it looks very simple. Indeed, it is very simple. But!! I can assure you that this coconut sauce is pretty special. I served this up for my Samoan dinner party and people kept going back for ladles of the sauce to mop up with their freshly baked coconut bread rolls.

In other news, I've been nominated in the Australian Writers' Centre People's Choice Award in the Best Blogs 2013 competition! Unfortunately it is very much a contest in social media popularity - so I really need your help!

To vote hit this button to the right and then click the "vote here" button. Then scroll through the 5 pages of nominated blogs, Gormandize is on the second page. You 'll need to scroll through all the pages and then fill out your details at the end to make your vote count. Thank you for your support! 

And now for the recipe! I made mine with sweet potato, because it was most readily available, but this dish could also be made with taro, cassava, white sweet potato or even just potatoes. Whatever is available near you.

Sweet Potato in Creamy Coconut Sauce

Ingredients
2 large sweet potatoes
1 onion, diced finely
2-3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 x 400ml can coconut cream
1/2 cup vegetable stock
1/4 tsp salt (or to taste)

To Make
1. Peel and cube the sweet potato and place in a large saucepan.
2. Add the onion, garlic, coconut cream, vegetable stock and salt and cover with a lid. Bring to the boil.
3. Once boiling, remove the lid and reduce the heat. Simmer, uncovered, until the sweet potato is cooked through. This should take about 10 minutes. Stir gently every now and then to ensure even cooking. 

Serve with green vegetables and coconut rice or fresh coconut bread
Serves 4




This month I'm featuring lots of delicious food from Samoa.
Check out my other recipe posts:

1 comment:

  1. This a must! I love using coconut in curries and stuff but...... sweet potato......... new to me. thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete