Saturday 25 May 2013

Vegan Dulce de Leche Tiramisu


I mentioned in my last Argentinian recipe post, the Fugazza (Caramelised Onion Focaccia), that there is a lot of Italian influence in Argentinian cuisine. Just in case you didn't believe me - here is another Argentina-meets-Italy recipe. I've created my own vegan version using my home made dulce de leche and a home made 'mascarpone cream' type thing. Anyway - enough introduction. Here is it (fyi: it was absolutely delicious).


Ingredients

The Cake
1 cup soy milk
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1/3 cup canola oil
½ cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 ¼ cups wholemeal plain flour
½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp bicarb soda

Dulce de Leche 'Mascarpone' Cream
1/4 cup cashews, soaked for 1 hour
300g silken tofu
1 can coconut cream, refrigerated over night
2 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tbsp sugar
Pinch of salt
1 1/2 - 2 cups Vegan Dulce de Leche (you can vary this according to personal taste)

You'll also need
1 cup strong black coffee, sweetened (or substitute 1/2 cup kahlua or other coffee liqueur)
Chocolate shavings, for decorating.

To Make
The Cake:
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
2. Combine the soy milk and apple cider vinegar and set aside for a few moments to curdle.
3. Add the sugar, canola oil and extracts and mix well (I use a whisk for this), then sift in all other ingredients and mix well to combine.
4. Line a medium sized lightly greased square baking dish with baking paper. Pour in the cake batter.
5. Bake for 20 minutes – or until golden on top and a skewer comes out clean when inserted.
6. Set aside to cool completely (you can work on the other bits of the tiramisu while it cools).
7. Once cooled, cut into smaller, more manageable sections and slice in half lengthways.


Dulce de Leche Cream:
1. Drain the cashews (which you have soaked for at least an hour) and place in a food processor with the tofu, lemon juice, sugar and salt. 
2. Open the tin of coconut cream which you have had in the fridge (at least) overnight. Scoop out the thick solid white layer and reserve the remaining clear liquid for another used (such as a curry or a smoothie). Add the solid while layer to the food processor and process until completely smooth. This may take a while, as you want the cashews completely smooth as well - so be prepared to process it for up to 5 minutes, scraping down the sides and stirring often.
3. Once completely smooth, transfer to a bowl and stir the dulce de leche through. Keep in the fridge while you prepare your ingredients for assembly.



To Assemble:
1. In an individual dessert glass, layer a piece of the vanilla cake on the bottom and sprinkle generously with the sweetened coffee. Then add a layer of dulce de leche cream, then another layer of cake and finally more of the cream. 
2. Repeat until you have made enough portions or you run out of ingredients. 
3. Garnish them with shaved chocolate and keep in the fridge until ready to serve. Can be made in advance and will keep well for up to 3 days.

Makes 10 individual portions.

NOTES~
~For the more boozy alternative, use kalua instead of the sweetened coffee. 
~ This can also be made into one large tiramisu instead of individual servings.


This month I'm featuring lots of recipes from Argentina!
Check out my other Argentinian recipe posts:

8 comments:

  1. Ah, that looks so very delicious and perfect for a dinner party dessert...love it when there's an easy non-dairy cream involved. What were some good brands of coconut cream you can use that firm up well in the fridge?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to use Admiral brand, because it is one of the cheapest you can buy and it always turns out so great for me. I haven't really tried any other brands though, once I found one that worked so well I just stuck with it.

      Delete
    2. Awesome, thanks! I tried one once and it pretty much just stayed liquid. It was disappointing.

      Delete
    3. Yeah different brand have different fat contents, and you really want one that hasn't been watered down or it won't solidify properly.

      Delete
  2. I think I just died and went to heaven. My daughters have invited me for the weekend in a few weeks time. They always make their stock standard Gordon Ramsey Tiramisu cram packed with dairy that I can't have and this time...I am going to take MINE! Cheers for sharing this unctuous promise of vegan happiness with us all and just in time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure! let me know how it goes down. I recommend using kahlua instead of coffee if you're making it for hard core tiramisu fans :)

      Delete
  3. Wow!

    This is just great!!!
    Thanks for sharing!
    :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Keely, thanks for sharing your delicious recipes! May I ask which size your medium sized square baking tin is? thank you in advance, looking forward to serve this tiramisu variation to my non vegan hard core tiramisu lovers :)

    ReplyDelete