Thursday 9 May 2013

Vegan Dulce de Leche


Happy May everyone! You know how I always say that I'll be more organised this month with my posts? Well, once again I haven't. It's 9 days into May and I'm yet to post anything. Oops! Not only that, but I have a couple of leftover Dutch recipes to post from last month! Oops.

But I'm going to turn around and change that now! I'm starting with this - Dulce de Leche. Can you guess which country I'm featuring this month? I don't know if you guessed Argentina, but if you did then you're absolutely right!

I'm so excited that I've finally got a chance to head over to South America! I've had lots of different continents requested, but this is the first from South America and I'm very excited to get my teeth stuck into it! Although, if my initial reading is right, the Argentinians seem to love their sweets so that may not be so good for my teeth.

I'm starting with a fundamental - Dulce de Leche, but vegan. This had to be my first step because I'm going to be using it in several of my other recipes this month. Also because I've just always wanted to try it! This delicious vegan version is very easy to make, using coconut cream instead of condensed milk.

Vegan Dulce de Leche

Ingredients
2 x 400ml cans coconut cream
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1 tsp treacle (just for richness & colour, you can leave it out if you like)
1/2 tsp salt

To Make
1. Pour the coconut cream (including any solidified bits) into a saucepan and add the brown sugar.
2. Heat over a medium heat until the sugar is dissolved and any lumps in the coconut cream have melted.
3. Add the treacle, and simmer on a medium heat with the lid off for 30 minutes.
4. Remove from the heat and stir in the salt.
5. Pour into clean glass jar(s) and set aside to allow to cool. Cool it at room temperature, rather than in the fridge. Putting it in the fridge will make your coconut cream start to solidify and you'll get lumpy dulce de leche.

Makes 2 medium jars (this really varies depending on the size of your jars).
Store at room temperature. Use however you like!

Here are some dishes I've made using my home made dulce de leche:
Alfajores
Dulce de Leche Tiramisu
Apple & Caramel Sago Pots


Check out my beautiful Alfajores - Argentinian Shortbread Biscuits filled with creamy Dulce de Leche:



This month I'm featuring lots of recipes from Argentina!
Check out my other Argentinian recipe posts:

11 comments:

  1. Another need-to-make recipe. Does any of the coconutty flavour remain? And do you think if you cooked it longer you'd be able to use it in caramel slice?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hey fish, I didn't really find much of a coconuty flavour in mine - it really just tasted like caramel. I think you could definitely use this in some caramel slice. Even if you don't cook it for much longer, it firms up quite a bit if you refrigerate it because the fat solidifies in the coconut cream.

      So if you make your slice base, then poured the hot dulce de leche onto it, let it settle for a bit and then poured your chocolate layer on top and then let the whole thing set in the fridge for about an hour it would probably turn out quite firm.

      Now just thinking about that has made me really feel like caramel slice, so I think I might have to try it myself! :)

      Delete
    2. I'll have to try it. I've made caramel slice a few times but have never been able to really eat it because of the condensed milk (darn that dairy intolerance). Thanks:) Now I just need a recipe for easy icecream that tastes exactly like pistachio halva without using any actual halva (hint hint - any hope?:)).

      Delete
    3. Hmm interesting, I'm sure we could manage. Why can't you have pistachio halva? It doesn't have any dairy in it.

      Delete
    4. Oh, I can have the halva (sometimes too much, it gets a bit addictive). I've just been wondering if it would be possible to make an icecream with a tahini base that tastes like pistachio halva but doesn't rely on mixing premade halva in - thus possibly cheaper but also just plain awesome.

      Delete
    5. Yes I think we could definitely do this. I'll start thinking,

      Delete
  2. This is really too easy for me to NOT give it a try. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure Todd! Let me know how it turns out if you do make it.

      Delete
  3. I cannot believe how easy and cheap it is to prepare yourself. I don't have to purchase it at "Coco Black" @ $8.00 for a tiny jar anymore!!!

    I've made three jars, am going to use it in the kids' lunches. They can't take peanut butter or nutella to school, so why not ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trying it right now! Looks so good!

    ReplyDelete